Early Morning Rain / Pioggia del primo mattino

[Gordon Lightfoot]

In the early morning rain with a dollar in my hand
And an aching in my heart and my pockets full of sand
I'm a longway from home and I miss my loved one so
In the early morning rain with nowhere to go

Cut on runway number nine, big 707 set to go
I'm stuck here on the grass, with the pain that ever grows
The liquor tasted good and the women all were fast
Well, there she goes, my friend, she's rolling down at last

Hear the mighty engines roar, see the silver bird on high
She's away and westward bound, far above the cloud she'll fly
Where the morning rain don't fall and the sun always shines
She'll be flying over my home in about three hours time

This old airport's got me down, it's no earthly good to me
Cause I'm stuck here on the ground, cold and drunk as I might be
You can't hop a jet plane like you can a freight train
So I'd best be on my way in the early morning rain


* * * *

Nella pioggia del primo mattino con un dollaro in mano
E un dolore nel mio cuore e le mie tasche piene di sabbia
Sono molto lontano da casa e mi manca la mia amata
Nella pioggia del primo mattino con nessun posto dove andare

Sulla pista numero nove, un grosso 707 pronto a partire
Sono bloccato qui nell'erba, col dolore che si fa sempre più grande
Il liquore era buono e le donne erano tutte veloci
Be', se n'è andata, amico mio, alla fine è partita

Senti il rombo del motore, guarda l'uccello argentato là in alto
Lei è lontana e diretta a ovest, volerà al di là delle nuvole
Dove la pioggia del mattino non cade e il sole splende sempre
Volerà sopra casa mia tra circa tre ore

Questo vecchio aeroporto mi uccide, non va più bene per me
Perché sono bloccato a terra, infreddolito e ubriaco come sono
Non puoi saltare su un aereo come fai con un treno merci
Quindi alla pioggia del primo mattino sarò lungo la mia strada